Take Linux to the Extreme- Advanced Linux Programming
This seminar is for experienced Linux developers that wants to take the next step and dive deeper into Linux IO layer, Copy APIs, Event polling, Memory management, concurrency and synchronization issues.
There will be no exercises here – the instructor will present examples from his laptop.
Who Should Attend
- Seasoned Linux C/C++ programmers who want a deep dive into advanced areas of the Linux API.
The IO layer
Zero copy APIs
Epoll and how to use it.
- timer fds
- signal fds
- event fds
- real time signals
- communicating with the kernel (AF_NETLINK)
- how malloc allocates large vs small areas of memory
- arenas in malloc
- the process mm semaphore in the kernel.
Advanced synchronization topics:
- robust futexes
- pthread barriers
- pthread spinlocks
- pthread readers/writer locks
- RCU in user space
Volatile and it’s pitfalls.